This pandemic has forced many people to work remotely. Away from their office spaces, people have to access their Company’s data on their setup. The chances are that it may be stolen and compromised at any time as the private setups are not as secure as the Company’s own. So many people are turning to VPNs for security and safety on the web.
Thankfully, VPNs now are not only limited to PCs. VPN companies have created apps to run on mobile phones, and they work just as well as their PC counterparts.
There is an ocean of VPN services that you can choose from, but not all of them are safe or even worth it. To make the selection work easy for you, we’ve personally tested Top-notch services and have narrowed them down to some of the best VPNs that you can get.
We recommend you get Paid VPNs if you’re serious about your privacy online. There are hundreds of free VPNs available in the market, but only a few are worth checking; they offer fewer features and limited capacity. We’ll mention some free VPNs at the end of the article; feel free to check them if you want to see how a VPN works.
Table of Contents
Best VPN for Android (Premium)
So to get things started with NordVPN, it is based in Panama, a South American country with no law that mandates retaining user data. It does not participate in the Five Eyes or fourteen eyes International group.
NordVPN has a zero log policy, which means that they don’t log your online activities whatsoever and only keep minimal account details of you.
They offer top-notch encryption, which tunnels your traffic to the highest grade. You can choose from 5500 plus servers from up to 59 countries. They offer not one, not two, but three VPN protocols which is great. You can be connected to six devices at a time; this has to be our favourite part about NordVPN. They have a feature that allows you to connect through two VPNs at a time for that extra layer of security.
- Top-notch AES-256-bit encryption.
- Three VPN protocols – OpenVPN, NordLynx, and WireGuard.
- Kill a switch that turns off data traffic immediately if the VPN connection is down.
- Freedom to choose from 5500+ servers from 59 countries.
- Ability to connect 6 devices simultaneously.
- P2P servers for sharing large-size files.
- Route traffic from 2 servers instead of just 1 for extra security.
Pricing: NordVPN lets you choose from three plans.
- 1-month plan: which will cost you $11.95
- 1-year plan: bills for $4.92 per month and $59 yearly. (58% savings)
- 2-year plan: bills for $3.71 per month and $89 for two years (68% savings) + 3 additional months free.
ExpressVPN is undoubtedly the fastest VPN there is for Android. It has become one of the top picks among VPN users worldwide. You can choose from 3,000 plus lightning-fast servers in 160 locations in 94 countries. It uses 4096 CA, TLSv1.2 & AES-256 encryption to secure your data. In 2019 ExpressVPN announced that their servers would run on RAM (Read Only Memory) and not hard drives, thus making them even more secure.
They follow a strict No log policy and store minimal data about your account. With their split tunnelling feature, you can select which app on your device will use VPN and which apps will be connected to a regular network. You can connect up to 5 devices to the network simultaneously.
Not only mobile phones but ExpressVPN also protects everything running on Android OS.
The speed reliability of ExpressVPN is backed by various speed testers worldwide, and it even has a rating of whooping 4.7/5 on Trustpilot.
- The split tunnelling feature allows you to sort which specific apps will be connected to the proxy network. Only the selected apps will have VPN access; the rest will be connected to the regular network.
- Kill switch, which is triggered in case of loss of connection.
- Various protocols such as Open, UDP & TCP.
- Server count of 3000+ from around 94 countries.
- Connect up to 5 devices simultaneously.
Pricing: ExpressVPN lets you choose from three different options
- 1-month plan: This will cost you around $12.95
- 6-month plan: This bills $9.99 each month and $59.95 for six months.
- 1-year plan: bills for $6.67 each month and $99.95 for a year. (3 additional months free)
Launched in the year 2018, Surfshark has around 2.4+ million users worldwide. What makes it popular, besides the great security features, is that you can connect as many devices as you want to the VPN, which is GREAT! You don’t have to limit yourself to a handful of devices.
It has 1700 plus servers based in more than 63 countries.
Their excellent no-log policy won’t even allow them to see what you’re doing online when you are connected to their service.
Its ‘NoBorders mode’ allows you to use the VPN service even in restrictive regions. It uses AES-256-GCM encryption to protect your data to the absolute best standards. It quickly unblocks geo-blocked content and even allows torrenting. It has an excellent Ad blocking feature which many VPNs lack. All these and many other features in stealing price. Surfshark won’t cut a hole in your pocket as it is very budget-friendly.
- You can connect an ‘n’ number of devices at a given time.
- Network kill switch to protect your data when the connection goes down.
- End-to-end encryption with military-grade technology.
- Freedom to select 1700 plus servers from 63 plus countries.
- Adblocking feature
Pricing: Surfshark is very pocket friendly and allows you to choose from three different plan options.
- 1-month plan: this plan will cost you $12.96.
- 6 months plan: bills for $6.50 each month and $38.98 every six months. (50% savings).
- 2-year plan: bills for $2.22 each month and $59.82 for 2 years + 3 additional months free (83% savings).
With around 6000 plus high-speed servers based in 90 countries, CyberGhost has the most number of servers on our list. Launched in 2004, it is a VPN service based in Romania, which does not have a law in its constitution that mandates the retention of user data. It is super user-friendly to use and is ideal for beginners.
CyberGhost is very transparent in its approach. They are the first VPN service providers to publish transparency reports, which include DMCA complaints, police requests for data access, and malware-flagged activities. But you don’t have to worry, because CyberGhost does not store anything and thus does not have anything to show anyone. Overall, it is packed with features and is pocket friendly too.
CyberGhost has a whopping 4.8/5 rating on Trustpilot.
- Connect up to 7 devices simultaneously.
- Optimized servers for streaming
- Split tunnelling feature available
- Automatic wi-fi protection feature.
- Strict no-log policy
- Freedom to choose from 6900 servers.
Pricing: CyberGhost lets you choose from four different plans
- 1-month plan: This plan will cost you $12.16.
- 1-year plan: This plan bills $3.95 each month and $47.44 for the entire year.
- 2-year plan: This plan costs $3.46 each month and $83.14 for the entire two-year duration
- 3-year plan: This plan has the most savings. It will cost you $2.24 each month and $87.42 for three years + additional 3 months free.
This VPN stands for its name, it’s truly private in the sense of internet access. You can access VPN servers from 77 plus countries and 128 plus regions. Trusted by companies like Forbes, Business Insider, etc. Private Internet Access is among the leading VPN brands. It supports Unlimited bandwidth and blocks advertisements, malware & trackers very well. You can hook up to 10 devices simultaneously, which is also a plus point as most of the VPN brands in the market only allow you to use 6-7 devices at a time.
It is very user-friendly and supports P2P servers so that you don’t have a hard time sharing large files on the web.
Private Internet Access works well for unblocking geo-blocked content and even lets you use torrent easily. Their kill switch feature is excellent and keeps you safe in the case of server disconnection.
- IP cloaking.
- Internet kill switches to avoid manipulation of data when servers are down.
- Four VPN protocols.
- Multiple VPN gateways.
- Unlimited bandwidth.
- Ability to handle 10 devices at a time.
Pricing: Private internet access offers three plans. They let you pay even by gift cards from various brands. Here are their pricing plans.
- 1-month plan: this plan will cost you around $12.23.
- 1-year plan: this one bills for $3.40 per month and costs $40.88 for the entire two years.
- 3 years plan this plan bills $2.20 per month, and the entire cost for 3 years is $79.52.
5+ Best VPN for Android (Freemium)
Again we do not recommend sticking to a free VPN for your security, but you can look at these free services we’ve handpicked for you that will help you get started with VPNs. These services are the most trustworthy for a completely free experience. Let’s dig into them.
#1 Hotspot Shield
HotspotShield lets you use 500mbs of data per day in the free version. That much data is enough to check email, browse the web, and stream in standard resolution for around half an hour. The free version has advertisements, and you can connect with two servers only.
Windscribe VPN offers 10 Gigabytes of data each month to its free users. That much data is sufficient for streaming in standard resolution for a fair amount of time. It has an inbuilt ad and malware blocker feature and offers split tunnelling. Windscribe VPN lets you use torrent websites on its excellent free version. Also, check out how to get Windscribe Bonus with 30GB Bandwidth.
Speedify offers 5GB of free data each month to its free users. It lets you access 5 servers and also allows torrenting. It is capable of unblocking streaming websites like Netflix, Hulu, and Spotify. Its free version has the kill switch feature, which many others lack. It uses 128 GCM encryption instead of AES-256.
ProtonVPN is excellent in terms of data usage, as you can use as much data as you want on a VPN, but it lacks speed. We’ve included it on the 4th just because of its data allowance limit, which is unlimited. It also offers good encryption and lets you connect to servers from 3 locations. Proton VPN can unblock streaming services like Netflix and Spotify. But it cannot access torrent sites as it lacks P2P servers.
Users can use 2 Gigabytes of free data each month with hide.me. The split tunnelling feature is also available in its free version. You get access to 5 of their servers.Hide.me can unblock some streaming websites like Spotify & Kodi but not Netflix.
TunnelBear offers 500 Mbs of data each month to its free users. It does support torrenting but fails to unblock streaming giants like Netflix and Hulu. It has built-in GhostBear mode in the free version, allowing it to bypass VPN blocks.
#1 Which free VPN is best for Android?
From all the VPN services we tested, we found HotspotShield to be the best Free VPN for Android.
#2 Which is the best Android VPN?
NordVPN is the best VPN you can choose for your Android. It’s packed with features, and it is reliable too. that is why it’s at #1 on our list.
#3 Can I share VPN with family members?
Yes, you can share your VPN subscription among various devices at a given time. However, the number of devices that can be connected simultaneously varies from provider to provider.
#4 Is using VPN illegal?
Using a VPN is not illegal, but if you commit an act that is illegal using a VPN, then it’s still illegal. Many countries have an outright ban on using a VPN service. There are currently 10 countries that practice this ban. China, Russia, and UAE are among them.
#5 Is using a VPN to watch Netflix illegal?
It is not illegal to use VPN to watch Netflix, but if you belong to these countries where using a VPN is a crime, you are legally bound to do anything that involves the usage of a VPN.
#6 Is it worth paying for a VPN?
It is 100% worth paying for a VPN. Free ones do their job as well, but in a very limited manner and with few features missing. When you pay for a VPN, you get access to all the premium features with total capacity, which is always better than limited access.
#7 Is VPN safe for Android?
Using a VPN for Android is safe, but only when using a trusted brand. There are hundreds of fake and rubbish VPN providers who do more harm than good to your device when used. Be smart and only use the recommended ones.
#8 What is the most robust VPN app?
From what we’ve tested, NordVPN is the most well-balanced and, overall, the best VPN you can get for your Android. Although it’s not the fastest in the market, other features make it the strongest.
With so many VPN service providers, it’s hard for users to choose the correct one. But don’t worry; we’ve tested the best VPNs in the market and selected only the best for you.
We make sure that our users only get the best of the best. You can go for all these services without any second thought and be the smarter ones that stay safe on the internet.