In this article, we will guide you on how to unlock Redmi Note 8 Bootloader and install TWRP custom recovery officially, which will take 5-10 minutes with the required files and drivers.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 is a budget-friendly smartphone under the Redmi series by Xiaomi, which comes out of the box running on Android Pie 9.0. The smartphone is powered by an Octa-core processor clocked at 2.0 GHz on Quad-core, followed by Kyro 260 Quad-core on 1.8 GHz, which runs on the Qualcomm Snapdragon 665 Chipset.
4GB RAM boosts the Redmi Note 8 built on 64GB internal storage, which has an IPS LCD Display measuring at 158.3mm X 75.3mm X 8.3mm and weighs 188 grams. The screen’s resolution is 1080 X 2280 pixels with 395 PPI pixel density. The exciting part of this smartphone is that the aspect ratio is of 19:5:9 and has a screen to body ratio of 85.08%.
The USP of the device by the company is the camera that has been upgraded from its previous versions and holds a 48+8+2+2 Megapixel camera, which has advanced features like Digital Zoom, Auto Flash, Touch to Focus, Face Detection, etc. The selfie camera comprises a 13 Megapixel sensor.
To power this device, Xiaomi has backed it with the same old traditional 4000 mAh battery which supports quick charging. The connectivity of Redmi Note 8 includes WiFi, GPS, Volte, Bluetooth, dual Nano-SIM card support.
How To Unlock Redmi Note 8 Bootloader
Unlocking all Xiaomi devices requires the Xiaomi Flash Tool, which unlocks the bootloader of the device officially. You need to download and install the USB drivers on a Windows PC, which is necessary for the system to verify the device being connected and perform the unlocking of the bootloader.
- Charge your Redmi Note 8 to a sufficient percentage.
- Keep the USB Data Cable handy.
- Backup the media files, contacts, etc. from your Phone to an external source like PC or SD Card
- You need to enable the USB Debugging on your Phone. Go to the phone Settings > About > Software > Build Number (tap on it continuously until you see the Developers mode turned on message).
- You also need to Enable OEM Unlock – Go to the phone Settings > Additional Settings > Developers Options > Scroll down and search for OEM unlock (enable it).
- On your computer open the Mi Flash Tool and tap on Agree > Sign in with your MI Account
- Turn off your Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 and press and hold the Power Button + Volume Down Button together until you boot into Fastboot mode.
- Now connect your smartphone to the computer using the data cable.
- On the Mi Flash Tool, click on “Unlock” and wait for the process to complete.
- Once everything is done, a message will pop up on the window stating “Unlocked Successfully. ” However, if this is your first time requesting for the unlocking the bootloader of your Xiaomi Redmi Note 8, then it will tell you to come back after 180-360 hours.
Congratulations, now you have successfully unlocked the bootloader on the Xiaomi Redmi Note 8.
To check if the bootloader lock status on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 8:
- Go to Settings > About Phone and tap MIUI Version 5-10 times until it shows Developer options enabled.
- Now go back to Settings and then click on Additional Settings > Developers options.
- Scroll down and click on Mi “Unlock status” You will see the message “This device is unlocked.”
Advantages of Unlocking Bootloader
- Helps you install TWRP, OrangeFox, PitchBlack.
- You can take the backup of partitions, system, cache, etc.
- You can restore a backup in case of a boot loop.
- Root your smartphone using a custom recovery.
- Flash stock/custom ROM and OTA updates.
- Change the partition type.
- Factory reset and format everything
- You can mount the system, storage, etc.
- Helps in removing bloatware programs.
Disadvantages of Unlocking Bootloader
- Warranty is lost in unlocking the bootloader.
- Your device is more vulnerable now.
- You might brick your device if any wrong patch or firmware is flashed.
- OTA updates of stock ROM cannot be installed.
How To Install TWRP On Redmi Note 8
Once you have performed the unlocking of the bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi Note 8, next, you will have to download the drivers for ADB and Fastboot and install it on your computer. Follow the instructions below:
- Turn off your smartphone and press Volume Down Button + Power Button until you see the Mi logo.
- Now connect it to the computer using the USB data cable
- Go to C:Program Files (x86)Minimal ADB and Fastboot and right-click on cmd-here and run as administrator
- Now type list devices (It will display your device on the ADB and fastboot tool window
- Type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img and hit enter. You will see the “write successfully” message.
- Now press and hold Volume Up and Power button together to enter the custom recovery mode.