When it comes to customizing your device, rooting is the most preferred option. You can flash custom ROMs and customize your device as you’d like after rooting. But it’s not that easy to root your device, and before rooting, you need to make sure some things are in order.
It would be best if you had an unlocked bootloader on your device before you could start making any modifications to the file system.
Sony is a Japanese multinational conglomerate corporation. It deals with electronics, gaming, entertainment and many other things. Sony started in 1946 by Masaru Ibuka and Akio Morita. The company has over 200 subsidiaries which are located in various places all around the world. Sony is one of the most influential brands globally when it comes to consumer electronics, games and entertainment.
How To Unlock Any Sony Device Bootloader
Unlocking the bootloader of Android is a process that has been going on for a long time. There are many reasons to do this, but you must understand the risks involved before proceeding.
In this article, we will talk about how to unlock the bootloader of Sony smartphones.
What is a Bootloader
A bootloader is software that permits the phone to only boot into the operating system currently on the device. Most manufacturers keep the bootloader locked to prevent the user from making any changes to the file system. A locked bootloader also prevents the user from flashing any unsigned firmware/software to the device.
So to root your device, flash custom ROMs, or make any modification, you need to have an unlocked bootloader. Unlocking the bootloader has always been slightly different on Sony devices, and most users find it difficult as the process includes a few additional steps. So in this guide, we will show you how to unlock the bootloader on any Sony device.
Some smartphones have an unlocked bootloader, which means that all applications can be installed onto them without restriction. This gives hackers more access to your private information and data, so caution should be taken when purchasing an unlocked smartphone. But before starting with the process, here are some pre-requisites:
- Your device will factory reset during the process, so keep a complete backup of your device.
- Download and install ADB and Fastboot tools on your PC
- Make sure your device is at least 80% charged.
- Download and install the Sony device USB driver on your PC.
- Enable Developer Options on your device by going into system settings and tapping the build number 7 times.
- Enable USB Debugging by going into System Settings -> Developer Options -> Toggle On USB Debugging.
- Note down the IMEI/IDID/MEID number of your device.
After you have checked all the pre-requisites, you are all set to start the process. Now follow the steps below to unlock the bootloader on your Sony device:
- Power off your Sony device.
- Press and hold the volume up key and connect your device to your PC via USB to boot into Fastboot mode.
- Now go to Sony’s unlock bootloader page and select your device from the drop-down menu.
- Now Enter the IMEI/IDID/MEID number of your device and press continue.
- Now you will see an unlock code on the screen, or it will ask you to enter your E-mail ID, so check your E-mail for the Unlock Code.
- Go to the ADB folder and open a terminal window by right-clicking in space and selecting the Open PowerShell window here.
- Now to check if your device is connected, type the following command: fastboot devices
- Now to unlock the bootloader type the following command: fastboot -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xYourUnlockCode
- Instead of YourUnlockCode, enter the unlock code you received after entering the IMEI/IDID/MEID number.
- And you are done.
Now your device will reboot with an unlocked bootloader. After this, you can root your device and flash custom ROMs to customize your device as you like.
The bootloader is a small code in the Android OS that starts up when the phone is turned on. It is designed to read the system partition and load its files, which loads the operating system. Once you unlock your Sony smartphone’s bootloader, you will be able to install a custom recovery, custom ROM, patches, etc.