The developers of LineageOS have officially released the Android 10 version of LineageOS20. They have released about 52 devices with tried and tested methods. The custom ROMs will bring a new era to custom ROM developers because they will get the latest Android 14-based LineageOS as their base ROM.
LineageOS is a popular custom ROM in the Android community; we will see many new features compared to the stock Android in LineageOS 20. The good news is that the developers of LineageOS have added new features based on the Google Pixel 4 and 4XL Android OS and some more unique characteristics.
In the beginning, CyanogenMod was the name for LineageOS, which was built and designed for smartphone users with low hardware specifications. The main aim was to deliver the best performance and keep stability in mind. LineageOS has a dedicated community where developers and users work together to report bugs and request new features.
Table of Contents
New Features of LineageOS 20
- One of the most demanded features, a partial screenshot UI, has been implemented where you can hand-select the smaller parts of the screen and edit them.
- After the CyanogenMod 13.0 migration, the support for custom themes was abolished. The good news is that they have brought back this feature.
- There is a new ThemePicker app where you can select from a wide range of accent colours and implement styles according to your wish.
- Fonts can be changed with the additional support of shape, icon style changer for WiFi/Aeroplane mode icons, etc.
- Now, your biometric sensor can authenticate and protect your apps from the launcher.
- The Android security patches till March 2020 have been included in the new build. The builds are based on the android-10.0.0_r31 tag, as well as for the Pixel 4/4 XL’s tag.
- The availability of the WiFi display is back once again.
- The feature has been implemented With new smartphones with on-screen fingerprint sensors (FOD).
- New mechanical hardware camera support was added for pop-up and rotating cameras.
- Language support has been extended to Australian English, Lithuanian, Latvian, Dutch, Romanian, Slovenian, Serbian and Turkish. Also, AOSP keyboard spell-checking has been added.
- Support for emoji 12.0 has been added to the AOSP keyboard.
- The WebView is updated to Chromium 80.0.3987.132.
Download LineageOS 20 Custom ROM
The following list of supported devices is taken from Lineageos.org. You can find your device name and click on the download link provided below. The instructions to install the LineageOS 17.1 custom ROM are provided on each device’s Wiki page.
|Device name||Wiki Page||ROM Maintainers|
|Asus Zenfone 6 (ZS630KL)||I01WD||luca020400, OrdenKrieger|
|HTC One 2014||m8||bgcngm|
|HTC One 2014 (Dual-SIM)||m8d||bgcngm|
|LG G2 (AT&T)||d800||YoDevil|
|LG G2 (Canada)||d803||YoDevil|
|LG G2 (International)||d802||YoDevil|
|LG G2 (T-Mobile)||d801||YoDevil|
|LG G3 (AT&T)||d850||firebird11, HardStyl3r|
|LG G3 (Canada)||d852||firebird11, HardStyl3r|
|LG G3 (International)||d855||firebird11, HardStyl3r|
|LG G3 (Korea)||f400||firebird11, HardStyl3r|
|LG G3 (T-Mobile)||d851||firebird11, HardStyl3r|
|LG G3 (Verizon)||vs985||firebird11, HardStyl3r|
|LG G5 (Global)||rs988||npjohnson, x86cpu|
|LG G5 (International)||h850||npjohnson, x86cpu|
|LG G5 (T-Mobile)||h830||npjohnson, x86cpu|
|LG V20 (AT&T)||h910||npjohnson, x86cpu|
|LG V20 (Global)||h990||npjohnson, x86cpu|
|LG V20 (Sprint)||ls997||npjohnson, x86cpu|
|LG V20 (T-Mobile)||h918||npjohnson, x86cpu|
|LG V20 (US Unlocked)||us996||npjohnson, x86cpu|
|LG V20 (Verizon)||vs995||npjohnson, x86cpu|
|Moto G6 Plus (XT1926-2/3/5/6/7/8/9)||evert||Jleeblanch|
|Moto G7||river||erfanoabdi, npjohnson, SyberHexen|
|Moto G7 Plus (XT1965-2/3/6)||lake||Jleeblanch|
|Moto Z2 Force (XT1789-02/3/4/5/6/7)||nash||npjohnson, erfanoabdi|
|Motorola One Power (XT1942-1/2)||chef||Hasaber8|
|OnePlus 6||enchilada||luca020400, LuK1337|
|OnePlus 7 Pro||guacamole||LuK1337, Tortel|
|Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (GT-I9295)||jactivelte||arco, npjohnson, side|
|Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337)||jflteatt||arco, npjohnson, side|
|Samsung Galaxy S4 (SCH-R970/C/X, SPH-L720)||jfltespr||arco, npjohnson, side|
|Samsung Galaxy S4 Value Edition (GT-I9515/L)||jfvelte||arco, npjohnson, side|
|Samsung Galaxy S4 (SCH-I545)||jfltevzw||arco, npjohnson, side|
|Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505/G, SGH-I337M, SGH-M919)||jfltexx||arco, npjohnson, side|
|Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e Wi-Fi (SM-T720)||gts4lvwifi||bgcngm, LuK1337|
|Sony Xperia XA2||pioneer||cdesai, LuK1337, Stricted|
|Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra||discovery||LuK1337|
|Sony Xperia 10||kirin||LuK1337|
|Sony Xperia 10 Plus||mermaid||LuK1337|
|Xiaomi Poco F1||beryllium||bgcngm, warabhishek|
|Xiaomi Mi 6||sagit||ArianK16a, Elektroschmock|
|Xiaomi Mi 8||dipper||infrag|
|Xiaomi Mi Mix 2||chiron||mikeioannina, wight554|
|Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S||polaris||bgcngm|
|ZUK Z2 Plus||z2_plus||DD3Boh|
Other features of LineageOS 20
- Every device is entitled to get its own Lineage recovery, a custom recovery to flash the new LineageOS.
- The ThemePicker app has deprecated the Styles API.
- The developers have superseded the PrivacyGuard by AOSP’s new PermissionHub. A more decent and equivalent feature that directly conflicted all attempts to forward-port the PrivacyGuard.
- The new AOSP navigation gestures have led to the expanded desktop feature’s dropure.
- Expanded Desktop has been dropped in favour of the new AOSP navigation gestures.
How to Install LineageOS on Your Android Device
Follow these steps to install LineageOS on your Android device:
Step 1: Check Device Compatibility
Visit the official LineageOS website to check whether your device is compatible. LineageOS supports a wide range of devices, but it’s crucial to verify compatibility.
Step 2: Backup Your Data
Before proceeding, back up your essential data to prevent potential loss during installation.
Step 3: Unlock the Bootloader and Install the Custom Recovery
- Unlock the bootloader of your device.
- Install a custom recovery such as TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project).
Step 4: Download LineageOS and GApps
- Visit the official LineageOS website and download your device’s correct LineageOS ZIP file.
- Download the corresponding Google Apps (GApps) package from a trusted source.
Step 5: Transfer Files to Your Device
Connect your device to your computer and transfer the downloaded LineageOS ZIP file and GApps package to your internal storage or SD card.
Step 6: Boot into Recovery Mode
Power off your device and boot into recovery mode using the appropriate key combination.
Step 7: Wipe Data and Install LineageOS
- Select “Wipe” or “Format” in the recovery menu to clear data and cache.
- Navigate to the “Install” or “Flash” section and select the LineageOS ZIP file.
- Confirm the installation.
Step 8: Install GApps
In the same recovery menu, select the GApps ZIP file and confirm the installation.
Step 9: Reboot Your Device
After completing the installations, reboot your device. LineageOS should now be active on your Android device.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully installed LineageOS, unlocking a world of customization and performance enhancements for your Android device.
- Can I revert to the stock ROM after installing LineageOS?
- You can revert to the stock ROM by flashing the original ROM ZIP file through the custom recovery.
- Does installing LineageOS void the warranty of my device?
- Unlocking the bootloader and installing custom ROMs may void the warranty. Check your device’s warranty terms.
- Are LineageOS updates available for my device?
- LineageOS provides regular updates for supported devices. Check the LineageOS website for the latest releases.
- Can I use LineageOS without Google Apps?
- LineageOS can be used without Google Apps, but you may miss out on some Google services and apps.
- Is LineageOS safe and stable for daily use?
- LineageOS is known for its stability and security. Stick to official releases and follow installation instructions carefully for a reliable experience.