Android is an open-source project where you can edit, modify, port custom ROMs, recoveries, and use it on a particular device for personal use or make it available for the general public. Rooting and install custom mods on Android devices are both entertaining and productive. In this article, we will learn how to root MI 10 Pro without PC and install TWRP custom recovery.
MI 10 Pro was launched earlier this year by Xiaomi, which is a flagship smartphone and has promising hardware specifications. The device is robust and outperforms many other flagship devices in the market. After you root MI 10 Pro and install TWRP, you can then install GCAM’s latest version on your device and capture some stunning images with the help of a 108MP primary camera.
Installing TWRP custom recovery in an Android device helps in many ways, such as letting you install a custom ROM based on AOSP, install custom kernels that enable you to overclock your device. TWRP also allows the user to take backups of the entire OS and restore it later if something goes wrong, it works just like system restore point in Windows-based computers.
How to Install TWRP on MI 10 Pro
Before we install TWRP on MI 10 Pro, we must know what it is about and how does it benefit us.
What Is A Custom Recovery?
Every Android device is built with a recovery, which we call it stock recovery. The stock recovery for general users is to help them update the stock ROM, format device, clear cache, Dalvik cache, etc. and is limited to install stock ROM only. A custom recovery does a similar job but has some advanced features that allow a user to install custom ROM, modules for root applications, custom kernels, etc.
Advantages of Custom Recovery
- Take a backup of the entire ROM.
- Restore a backup of recovery, boot image, system, partition, etc.
- Install AOSP ROM on MI 10 Pro.
- Change system partition type.
- Mount system, vendor, etc.
- Format the device without a password.
- Decrypt/encrypt device.
Disadvantages of Custom Recovery
- OTA updates do not work.
- Chances of boot loop.
- It can encrypt the device.
- The device can brick if the wrong firmware is flashed.
- Unlocked bootloader – read the guide.
- Battery charged above 50%
- Take a backup of your data.
- USB Type-C cable required
- Enable the developer’s mode
- Open the Settings menu on your phone and then click About
- Now search for Build Number and tap on it for 5-10 times until you get a message, “Developers mode turned on.”
- Enable the OEM to unlock and USB Debugging over here
- Open the Settings menu on your phone and then go to Additional Settings > Developers mode > Enable USB debugging.
- Install ADB and Fastboot on your computer.
- Download TWRP for MI 10 Pro and copy it in C: Program Files (x86)Minimal ADB and Fastboot folder on your computer.
Step 1: Turn off your Mi 10 Pro. Press and hold the Volume Down + Power button until you see the Green Bunny Logo.
Step 2: Connect your smartphone to your computer using the USB data cable.
Step 3: Go to C: Program Files (x86)Minimal ADB and Fastboot and right-click on py_cmd.exe and run it as administrator
Step 4: Now type the following command in the Command Box:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
The flashing process takes about 3-5 seconds, and you will get to see the following message on completion:
Step 5: Now press Volume Up + Power Button together and release the power button after a vibration but, keep the Volume Up Button pressed.
Step 6: There is a bug in this TWRP version where it automatically boots to the system, follow step 5 again.
Congratulations! You have finally installed TWRP custom recovery on Mi 10 Pro.
How to Root MI 10 Pro Without PC
- Download the latest Magisk Manager zip file.
- Reboot to the custom recovery menu, here we are taking TWRP as our custom recovery.
- Go to Install and select the file you download and swipe to flash.
- That’s it. You have successfully rooted MI 10 Pro.
Once you have installed TWRP on MI 10 Pro and rooted your device, you can install AOSP based custom ROMS, Masik ROM for MI 10 Pro, and much more. You can install different types of modules that are available in the Magisk modules sections. To utilize the camera, you can also install GCAM’s latest version and capture some beautiful images.