Poco X2, released earlier this month, has got the development support as the company released the Kernel-Source Codes on Github. In this article, we will guide you to install TWRP and Root Poco X2/Redmi K30.
One of the users Sithu Htun on XDA Forum shared a working TWRP, which is at its initial stage and unofficial developed by wzsx150, and he tests it. As we all know, Poco X2 is the rebranded model of Xiaomi’s Redmi K30, so both the devices have the same specifications and use the same kernel source codes, and the codename for both the devices is the phoenix.
Installing TWRP helps an Android smartphone user explore a lot of things that are not included by the manufacturer; we will discuss such features in this article. Once you install TWRP, you will be able to root Poco X2/Redmi K30 very easily with the help of Magisk.
Install TWRP Recovery On Poco X2
Installing a custom recovery like TWRP or OrangeFox on any Xiaomi smartphone requires the bootloader to be unlocked. You must first read this guide on how to unlock the bootloader on Poco X2. Following that, you will be able to install the POCO X2 TWRP recovery image.
Poco X2/Redmi K30 Specifications
The newly launched device POCO X2 by the now independent brand POCO has some great features to offer the budget-friendly smartphone users.
- Display – 6.67 Inches Full HD IPS LCD that has 1080 x 2400 pixels display and is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 5.
- Processor – Qualcomm Snapdragon 730G, which is an Octa-core CPU.
- Memory & Storage – Comes in 3 variants of 64/128/256 GB of storage and 6/8GB of RAM.
- OS – Running on the latest Android 10 (Q) based on MIUI 11.
- Camera – In the rear, it has quad camera setup of 64MP + 2MP + 8MP + 2MP and in the front, it has a dual 20MP + 2MP camera.
- Battery – It has a massive 4500 mAh Li-Po non-removable battery that supports fast charging at 27 Watt.
- Fingerprint sensor (side-mounted)
You can read a full specification and review of the POCO X2 and decide if you must buy it or not.
What is POCO X2 TWRP Recovery
An Android smartphone is packed with default or stock recovery by the manufacturer that only lets you install OTA updates or flash a stock ROM. TWRP, on the other hand, is a custom based recovery image that is installed on an Android smartphone through the help of a computer, which then lets you flash OTA updates, stock ROM, custom ROM, patches, root the device, etc.
- Ability to flash stock/custom ROM
- Root your device using Magisk/SuperSu
- Flash custom Kernels
- Flash mods and patches
- Take a backup of the ROM, Modem, EFS, Boot Logo, Vendor, etc.
- Wipe Dalvik/ART Cache, Cache, System, Vendor, Data, Internal Storage, USB-OTG, MicroSD
- Repair or Change File System to EXT2, EXT3, EXT4, FAT, exFAT, F2FS
- Format Data and decrypt the file system
- Mount Cache, System, Vendor, Firmware, etc.
- Enable or disable MTP
- Restore a backup
- Sideload ADB
- Use Terminal
- Some manufacturers don’t support OTA updates
- Warranty of the smartphone is lost (depends on the manufacturer)
- You might brick the smartphone if a wrong zip file is flashed
Disclaimer: Technolaty and its authors are not responsible for any loss or damage to your device or anything associated with it. The user is solely responsible for flashing, rooting, unlocking bootloader, etc. The following TWRP file was found on the internet, and we have not tested it personally.
Install POCO X2 TWRP Recovery
- Recharge your POCO X2/Redmi K30 battery above 50%
- USB Type-C Cable
- Backup all files from your smartphone to an external source (computer or SD Card)
- Unlocked bootloader
Method 1 (Recommended)
Step 1: Download and extract POCO X2 TWRP Recovery.zip on your computer
Step 2: Open the extracted POCO X2 TWRP Recovery folder and double click on Flash_TWRP.bat
Step 3: Now turn off your smartphone and press the Volume Down Button + Power Button together until you see the Fastboot logo.
Step 4: Connect the smartphone using the type-c cable to your computer.
Step 5: The TWRP recovery file will be installed and rebooted to the TWRP menu.
- Download the POCO X2/Redmi K30 TWRP.zip file and extract it on your computer.
- Now turn off your smartphone and press the Volume Down Button + Power Button together until you see the Fastboot logo.
- Connect the smartphone using the type-c cable to your computer.
- On your computer open the extracted Poco X2/Redmi K30 TWRP folder and right-click on cmd-here and run as administrator
- Type the following command: fastboot flash recovery poco-x2-redmi-k30-twrp-recovery.img
- Once you get the “write successfully” message. Reboot your POCO X2 to TWRP recovery by pressing the Volume Up + Power button together until you get the vibration.
Well done! You successfully installed POCO X2 TWRP custom recovery. Now follow the next step to root your smartphone.
Root POCO X2/Redmi K30
To root POCO X2/Redmi K30, a custom recovery such as TWRP or OrangeFox is necessary.
- Download the latest Magisk Manager zip file.
- Reboot to the custom recovery menu, here we are taking TWRP as our custom recovery.
- Go to Install and select the file you download and swipe to flash.
- That’s it. You have successfully rooted POCO X2/Redmi K30